One day until Valentine’s Day! Hopefully you’re looking forward to the holiday. If not, two days until there’s cheap chocolate! I must say that is probably my favorite thing about the holiday. I’m definitely what you would call a chocoholic. I think I was destined to be born the day after Valentine’s Day! I also enjoy the day of, although it can sometimes be a little awkward and cheesy. It’s also becoming difficult to keep gift ideas fresh after being with my partner for over a decade. However, a nice meal to share with your partner is always appreciated and enjoyable. You don’t even have to go out if you don’t want to! Here is one of my favorite meals to cook on Valentine’s Day, adapted from a New York Time’s recipe by Melissa Clark:
Simple Shrimp Scampi
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons/half stick butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 ¾ pounds large or extra-large shrimp, shelled
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- Freshly squeezed juice of a lemon
- Cooked linguine, sliced baguette, or risotto
- In a large skillet, melt olive oil and butter. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce by half, after about 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp and sauté until they turn pink, about 2 to 4 minutes depending upon their size. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Serve over linguine, on top of sliced baguette, or over risotto.
Whether you’re going out for Valentine’s Day, staying in cuddling working on that Valentine’s baby, or just waiting for that cheap chocolate, have a wonderful day. I wish you lots of love and happiness!